Department of Public Works
SCHOOL STREET / PLEASANT STREET INTERSECTION WATER LINE WORK:
Starting Sunday Nov 26, 2017 - Intersection closed, no through traffic from 6:30 pm-5:00 am (except emergency vehicles) for excavation phase, no water shut off unless emergency repairs are required. Intersection will re-open by 5:00 am, road will be plated and access open during the day.
Monday Nov 27, 2017 - Thursday Nov 30, 2017 - Intersection closed, no through traffic from 6:30 pm-5:00 am (except emergency vehicles) for (*)water line repair work. Notices will be delivered to affected residents for water turn off from 8:30 pm-5:00 am. Intersection will re-open and water will be turned on by 5:00 am, road will be plated and access open during the days.
Traffic detour signs will be posted on Rt. 128 and in Town, updates will be added on the DPW pages, Police Facebook and through alerts for residents who sign up for 'Notify Me,' on the Town’s website: www.manchester.ma.us Police details will be on site.
Water shut offs will only affect those residents that receive notices delivered to their homes, unless an emergency repair situation arises. If you experience any water discoloration, please run a cold tap until water runs clear, before running hot water.
(*)The Water Line Repair Work:
Replace 4 water valves and cut and cap an old 6” waterline that are all under the intersection of School Street / Pleasant Street. This will prevent water from leaking which would create the potential for ice build-up in the winter.
SCAM ALERT! Many companies claim their plastic bags are compostable. Bags must say "ASTM 6400 certified" to be compostable. Biodegradable is not compostable. An alternative is to use double-bagged paper grocery bags.
Compost site hours have been updated to Thursday, Saturday and Sunday from 9:00AM to 3:00PM. Please note that whether the chain is up or down, residents may access the site only when the OPEN sign is displayed.
The Public Works Department’s provides and maintains public services necessary for the continued growth and improvement of the quality of life for the citizens of Manchester-by-the-Sea.
The Department is comprised of the following divisions:
- Where can I find this year's collection schedule?
- Where can I get an update on the various DPW projects happening around town?
- What if my trash, recyclables or large item with green sticker was not collected?
- What if my food waste was not collected?
- When is the compost site open?
- When is the transfer station open?
- How do I dispose of a large item like a mattress, boxspring, chair, etc.?
- How do I dispose of televisions, laptops and computer monitors?
- How do I dispose of freezers, refrigerators and air-conditioners?
- What can I do with rechargeable and button batteries and fluorescent bulbs?
- How do I dispose of construction waste?
- What do I do with tires and auto/boat batteries?
- When is the next hazardous waste disposal day in Manchester?
- How do I get information about cemeteries, including pricing?
- How do I sign up for text and/or email alerts on my phone and/or computer?
- I have water and/or sewer questions...
- I have a question about a Town-owned tree...