Department of Public Works
Job Posting: SKILLED LABORER / WATER DEPARTMENT
The Town of Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA - DPW is accepting applications for a full time SKILLED LABORER (W2) in the WATER DEPARTMENT. Starting pay is $22.03 per hour. Working knowledge of public works equipment, operations and mechanics, construction and maintenance procedures preferred.
Must have the ability to perform heavy manual labor under varying weather conditions and follow proper methods, procedures and safety measures. Able to understand and carry out oral instructions, work independently in the performance of routine duties but may involve judgment and initiative in determining method of completion. Requires skill in operating power tools, hand tools and heavy equipment. Valid driver’s license required. Massachusetts Water Distribution License Level One (or higher) required or ability to obtain one within six months.
Closing date: 4/25/18
Applications can be downloaded from the Town’s website: http://www.manchester.ma.us/DocumentCenter/View/1490
Or collected in person from Town Hall, Rm #6, 10 Central Street, Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA 01944.
Completed applications can be submitted in person or by mail to the address above or emailed as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Work started today (3/27/18) to repair the rotunda after damage caused by the first of the March Nor'Easters. North Shore Construction is the contractor performing this essential work.
COMPOST SITE: The Compost Site will open for the 2018 season on March 24, 2018. Opening hours will be: Thursday, Saturday, Sunday 9-3 pm.
March 15, 2018 - The price to dispose of large (wood/fabric household) items curbside such as mattresses, chairs, side tables etc will increase. The green stickers purchased from the Town Clerk's office in Town Hall will be $10 per sticker. Please remember, only one large item per household per week, item must be placed curbside next to your trash and recyclables by 7 am on your day of collection. If your stickered item is ever left behind by Waste Management's trash truck please report it at: 800-972-4545.
The Transfer Station now accepts standard Auto batteries for recycling with a $10 sticker pre-purchased from the Town Clerk's office in Town Hall. Please see the attendant on arrival at the Transfer Station.
Please note AAA, AA, C, D etc type small regular batteries are not recyclable and should be put in your orange trash bags.
For power outage updates or to report downed trees in wires, please call National Grid directly: 1-800-322-3223 or on your mobile device at: www.ngrid.com/mobile or text: STORM to 64743 or online at www.nationalgridus.com/outagecentral
Waste Management Calendar
The DPW would like to apologize for any confusion caused by the Waste Management Calendar that was recently mailed to all Manchester residents. The street listing collection schedule contained mistakes. Collection days have NOT changed.
SCAM ALERT! Many companies claim their plastic bags are compostable. Bags must say "ASTM 6400 certified" to be compostable. Biodegradable is not compostable. An alternative is to use double-bagged paper grocery bags.
The Public Works Department’s provides and maintains public services necessary for the continued growth and improvement of the quality of life for the citizens of Manchester-by-the-Sea.
The Department is comprised of the following divisions:
- Where can I find the 2018 Collection Calendar?
- Where can I get an update on the various DPW projects happening around town?
- What if my trash, recyclables or large item with green sticker was not collected?
- What if my food waste was not collected?
- When is the compost site open?
- When is the transfer station open?
- How do I dispose of a large item like a mattress, boxspring, chair, etc.?
- How do I dispose of televisions, laptops and computer monitors?
- How do I dispose of freezers, refrigerators and air-conditioners?
- What can I do with rechargeable and button batteries and fluorescent bulbs?
- How do I dispose of construction waste?
- What do I do with tires and auto batteries?
- When is the next hazardous waste disposal day in Manchester?
- How do I get information about cemeteries, including pricing?
- How do I sign up for text and/or email alerts on my phone and/or computer?
- I have water and/or sewer questions...
- I have a question about a Town-owned tree...