MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF SELECTMEN
October 6, 2008 6:30 p.m. Town Hall
MEMBERS PRESENT: Chairman Thorne, Ms. Hardwick, Mr. Kehoe, Mr. Gubbins, Mr. Spence
STAFF PRESENT: Town Administrator Melville and Mrs. Samolchuk
At 6:30 p.m., Chairman Thorne called the meeting to order.
Mory Creighton and Police Chief McKiel – Float Storage
Mr. Creighton and Chief McKiel presented to the Board a plan for storage of floats belonging to the Manchester Yacht Club, Manchester Sailing Association, and the Manchester Harbor Boat Club. The floats would be securely joined together. They handed out an aerial photograph of the inner harbor showing the proposed placement of the “raft of floats”. After some discussion about Town-owed floats being included and liability issues, Mr. Spence made a motion to accept the plan on a trial basis and to absolve the Town of any liability. Mr. Kehoe seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
- The Board reviewed and discussed the following items in the interoffice memo from Town Administrator Melville:
- Pine Street 21 E Site - nothing new to report at this time
- The Beach Street project is progressing faster than expected and at a reduced cost. For the Rockwood Heights project, DPW Director Kenny proposes lowering the level of the adjacent pond, with Conservation Commission approval, to thereby work in a dry environment, which will reduce the cost of the project.
- No Dogs Signs in Cemeteries. As discussed at a previous meeting, this subject should be included in a Cricket article with other “Notes from Town Hall”.
- Town Administrator Melville will be meeting with a group proposing kayak storage at several locations in Town.
- Camping on the Beach - Chairman Thorne moved to confirm Town Administrator Melville’s action to allow the Cub Scout campout on Singing Beach on October 2, 2008. Ms. Hardwick seconded the motion and all were in favor.
- The Conservation Commission meeting minutes for their meeting of September 9, 2008.
- The Winthrop Field Committee meeting minutes for their meeting of August 28, 2008
- The Library Trustees meeting minutes for their meeting of August 1, 2008
- The Library Trustees meeting minutes for their meeting of September 4, 2008. Mr. Spence would like to know what the question is concerning the Director’s contract.
- A report from the Manchester Fire and Rescue Department for June, July, August and September 2008.
- A letter from Herman Strating, 602 Summer Street, requesting abatement of a water bill. Mr. Kehoe made a motion to deny abatement to Herman Strating of 602 Summer Street. Mr. Spence seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.
- A letter from concerned parents and staff of Shore Nursery School requesting a cross walk from 34 Bridge Street across Route 127. Mr. Kehoe moved to request that DPW Director Kenny send a letter to the Massachusetts State Highway Dept. to investigate the possibility of placing a crosswalk from 34 Bridge Street across Route127. Ms. Hardwick seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
Public Hearing – Fuel Storage Replacement Tanks at 8 Beach Street
Mr. Gubbins arrived shortly after the beginning of this public hearing.
At 7:00 p.m. Mr. Kehoe moved to open the public hearing for the purpose of discussing the fuel storage tank replacement at 8 Beach Street. Ms. Harkwick seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.
Mr. Kevin Johnson, owner of Sea Breeze Variety, Inc., d/b/a Richdale Convenience Store and Mr. Kevin Gottwald from Global Contracting Services, Inc. were present to address the Board regarding their proposed plan. Mr. Gottwald explained the existing steel tanks would be replaced with state of the art double wall fiberglass tanks and piping. They have met with Fire Chief Paskalis who will issue removal and installation permits and will be conducting inspections throughout the process. Should any environmental issues come up they will be dealt with appropriately. It should be a four-week project start to finish. Mr. Spence made a motion for approval of the application by Norman Hersey for replacement of fuel storage tanks at 8 Beach Street. Mr. Kehoe seconded the motion and all were in favor. Mr. Kehoe moved to close the public hearing at 7:10 p.m. Mr. Spence seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.
Minutes – September 8, 2008 Regular Session
Mr. Kehoe moved to approve the regular session minutes of the September 8, 2008 meeting of the Board of Selectmen. Ms. Hardwick seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.
Committee Handbook-2nd reading
Mr. Kehoe moved to approve the second reading of the Committee Handbook with the final reading to be on October 20, 2008. Mr. Spence seconded the motion and all were in favor.
Policy 08-1 Service Recognition Gifts
Mr. Kehoe made a motion to approve the second reading of the policy on Service Recognition Gifts and to adopt it. Mr. Gubbins seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.
Upcoming Meeting Schedule
Mr. Kehoe moved to hold a Special Town Meeting on November 17, 2008 at 6:30 p.m. at the Memorial School. Mr. Gubbins seconded the motion and all were in favor. The Board agreed there should be an article in the Cricket about why a Special Town Meeting is necessary.
The Selectmen may meet on November 3, November 17, and November 24th.
Chairman Thorne has been working on a draft letter about the upcoming vote on the State income tax question to be voted on November 4, 2008.
Ms. Hardwick questioned whether the position on the Finance Committee is being advertised.
At 7:48 p.m., Mr. Kehoe moved to adjourn to executive session for the purpose of discussing litigation and not to return to open session. Mr. Gubbins seconded the motion and it passed on a roll call vote with Chairman Thorne, Mr. Gubbins, Mr. Kehoe, Ms. Hardwick and Mr. Spence voting in favor.
Approved: November 24, 2008