Contact TypeContact Information
, Harbormaster
, Assistant Harbormaster
, Assistant Harbormaster
, Assistant Harbormaster
10 Central Street, Lower Level 
Manchester-by-the-Sea ,MA 01944 
(978) 526-7832
(978) 526-2001
Alternate Phone:
Bion Cell (978) 473-2520
Alternate Phone:
Boat (978) 473-0281
Office Hours:
Harbormaster Hours
Monday 9:00AM-5:00PM
Tuesday 9:00AM-5:00AM
Wednesday 9:00AM-5:00PM
Recommended to call first.

This schedule may vary as need dictates. The Harbormaster can be reached on VHF 9-16 when on the water or by cell phone (978) 473-2520.
Link to PageLink to Page
Link to PageLink to PageLink to Page

The Manchester-by-the-Sea Harbormaster’s mission is to provide marine enforcement, rescue, and education services to boaters within the tidal waters of Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts. The Harbormaster is dedicated to delivering these and other services to the boating community with courtesy and professionalism. Every effort will be made to foster a safe boating environment by maintaining a high state of readiness and cultivating partnerships with fisherman, recreational boat owners, marine business owners, and marine law enforcement agencies on the North Shore in order to make Manchester-by-the-Sea the safest boating waters in all of Massachusetts.

Life Jacket Loaner and Float Plan Kiosks

Loaner life jackets and float plans are available at all town docking facilities thanks to the Boy Scouts. Life jackets may be borrowed to ensure that everyone is safe while on the water, just take what you need and return them when you are done. Likewise you should fill out a float plan before heading out on the water. Take a moment to fill out the form and leave it in the box. First responders will be better able to assist you in the event you get in trouble.

Waterway Permit Renewal

  • Call or Visit Harbormaster
All mooring, float and dinghy permit holders must call or visit the harbormaster’s office no later than March 1st.  This is the only way to ensure that all information in the database is accurate and up to date.  

  • Provide Documentation
Unless you intend to change your vessel of record you do not need to provide documentation or registration. This information is already in the database and file. You do not need to provide proof of payment for your excise tax. The Treasurer’s Office will provide a list of paid boat excise to the Harbormaster. Any questions or problems with your excise can be discussed with the Harbormaster and/or the Assessor.

  • Harbormaster Prepares Waterway Renewal Forms
   The Harbormaster will update the database by gathering or confirming user contact, boat
    and mooring information. User will receive a form generated directly from the database.
     Date and time will be automatically printed on the form and a copy printed at the same
     time will be permanently filed at town hall. Your State 2BE-1 form will be available to
    sign at the time of renewal.

  • Pay Fees
All pertinent fees are included on the renewal forms. Checks should be made payable to Town of Manchester.  Credit card and electronic checks will be accepted through Uni-Bank. Uni- Bank does charge for this service. Payment can be made at the Treasurer’s Office or through the Town of Manchester Harbormaster website. Upon receipt of payment forms will be stamped, dated and initialed.

  • Waterway Usage Permit Sticker
Once the renewal is complete and payment received the user will receive a Waterway Usage Permit sticker  from the Harbormaster that must be affixed to the “vessel of record.” No exceptions.  
Waitlist Process
All waitlist forms will be available on the harbormaster website and at Town Hall. The only waitlist that has a fee associated with it is the mooring waitlist ($10).
Manchester Harbormaster only tows those vessels that are in immediate danger. Please contact a towing or salvage operator should you need to be towed.

    You can also follow the Manchester Harbormaster on Facebook.