Crowell Chapel is a small gothic looking stone structure located on Rosedale Avenue in Rosedale Cemetery. Commissioned to be built by Susan Crowell in memory of her brother Benjamin Franklin Crowell in 1903, the chapel is one of Manchester’s hidden jewels. The Horace Phipps of Boston stained glass window dominates the chapel’s interior with a central aisle flanked on both sides by the oak box ended pews. At the base of the tower the main entry has two huge oaken doors complete with wrought iron hinges and locks. The chapel was donated to the Town in 1904 and was used for many years for funeral and mortuary services. In the early 1980’s the Town petitioned the State to modify the trust to include weddings, recitals and readings or similar uses to further benefit the chapel’s beauty.
The chapel is available to rent on a first come first served basis. However, funerals and mortuary services are permitted without charge and take precedence over any rental activity. Great care is taken so there are no overlapping of events whether they are rented or not. The throwing of confetti, rice or other foreign objects is not permitted inside the building at any time.
Reservation forms can be picked up at the DPW office in Town Hall or emailed (see forms).
Costs: $300.00 for the event and rehearsal. $150.00 is due with the completed reservation form and the balance paid during the week of the reservation.